When I was a kid, I never really took to anything enough to collect it. My friends would have closets bursting with clothes, dozens of video games, or shelves bursting with books. But I was never really dedicated enough to choose my one thing that I would collect and know. And now that I’m an adult, the same thing has happened, except it’s had the opposite effect. I have too many collections of things to finish one! Here are a couple of the things I’ve been gathering over the years, and my progress to their completion.
Disney Masterpiece Collection
On original VHS no less! The Masterpiece Collection is a series of VHS movies that were released between 1994 and 1997. It’s basically a greatest hits of Disney’s animated movies, with some being re-released in better quality. It was the line of movies I had the most of in my original cache of movies from my childhood. I mostly get these from thrift stores and garage sales. Here’s my progress:
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Alice in Wonderland
The Sword in The Stone
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
The Three Caballeros
So Dear to My Heart
The Lion King
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Oliver & Company
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Fun and Fancy Free
The Jungle Book
The Little Mermaid
The Black Cauldron
Lady and the Tramp
One Hundred and One Dalmatians
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
Alice in Wonderland (second release)
Robin Hood (second release)
Nancy Drew Novels
As any of my friends or family could tell you, I love Nancy Drew. I love the books and I am an avid fan of the games made by HerInteractive. Therefore, I decided that I want to collect the line of books. There are thousands and thousands of books about the character Nancy Drew, since many authors under the pseudonym wrote many books over decades. So I’ve decided to collect what I consider to be the original series, the Nancy Drew Mystery Stories. My ultimate goal is the original printing of them as well, but so far this progress list includes all the novels I have, not just the original prints.
The Secret of the Old Clock The Hidden Staircase The Bungalow Mystery The Mystery at Lilac Inn The Secret Of Shadow Ranch The Secret of Red Gate Farm The Clue in the Diary Nancy’s Mysterious Letter The Sign of the Twisted Candles The Password to Larkspur Lane The Clue of the Broken Locket
- The Message in the Hollow Oak
The Mystery of the Ivory Charm
- The Whispering Statue
- The Haunted Bridge
- The Clue of the Tapping Heels
- The Mystery of the Brass-Bound Trunk
The Mystery at the Moss-Covered Mansion
- The Quest of the Missing Map
- The Clue in the Jewel Box
- The Secret in the Old Attic
The Clue in the Crumbling Wall
- The Mystery of the Tolling Bell
The Clue in the Old Album The Ghost of Blackwood Hall The Clue of the Leaning Chimney
- The Secret of the Wooden Lady
- The Clue of the Black Keys
- The Mystery at the Ski Jump
- The Clue of the Velvet Mask
The Ringmaster’s Secret The Scarlet Slipper Mystery The Witch Tree Symbol The Hidden Window Mystery The Haunted Showboat
- The Secret of the Golden Pavilion
- The Clue in the Old Stagecoach
- The Mystery of the Fire Dragon
The Clue of the Dancing Puppet
- The Moonstone Castle Mystery
- The Clue of the Whistling Bagpipes
- The Phantom of Pine Hill
The Mystery of the 99 Steps The Clue in the Crossword Cipher
- The Spider Sapphire Mystery
- The Invisible Intruder
- The Mysterious Mannequin
- The Crooked Banister
- The Secret of Mirror Bay
- The Double Jinx Mystery
- Mystery of the Glowing Eye
- The Secret of the Forgotten City
- The Sky Phantom
- The Strange Message in the Parchment
Wonder Woman comics
This is definitely my newest and therefore weakest collection. I have only a couple of these. I get them from a vintage comics and magazine stand at the St. Jacobs Farmers Market. The man who runs it is very nice and always helps me find what I need and answer any questions I might have. I realize how hard and possibly expensive it is to collect old comic books, so I’m not super attached to collecting them all here.
202. Fangs of Fire
249: The Sinister Seeker of Secrets
251: The Name Is Wonder Woman!
252: The Empress of the Silver Snake
253: Spirit of Silver… Soul of Gold
262: The Bushmaster Strikes Twice!
288: Swan Song!
295: Video Mania
296: Mind Games
309: The Black Canary Is Dead!
310: All’s Fair
Wonder Woman: Volume 1 Blood
Other various collections:
This section is for things that I have collected that don’t have neat listed with numbered volumes. Or their not things that have a cap or maximum on them, so listing my progress doesn’t make much sense. I’ve just counted them.
- I have 31 stuffed animals
- I have 6 Pop! figures. (Dumbledore, Harry Potter, Voldemort, Han Solo (bobblehead), Dr. Emmett Brown and Vault Boy)
- I have 4 GameBoy Advance games and 3 GameBoy games.
- I have 3 pairs of overall shorts, 1 pair of long pants overalls, and 1 cotton floral overall skirt. I don’t know when I decided to collect these, but evidently I have.
- I have 8 souvenir glasses from travelling and from friend’s bringing them back from travelling.
- I recently obtained 5 shoe boxes full of baseball cards. They’re all from the 80s/90s. I haven’t sorted through them yet, but it’s one hell of a collection.
- I have all the Series of Unfortunate Events books
Now that is too many thinks to be collecting. It’s not like I am made of money, and can simply buy all these collections whenever I please! Most of these things were bought on sale, from thrift stores, or received for Christmas and my birthday. As ridiculous as it is, I am very proud of these partial collections, and I am excited to finish them one day. Perhaps the difficulty of finishing them is actually what makes it even better, because then, years down the line, finishing them will be all the more satisfying.
So, let me know what sort of stuff you’ve been collecting! I love hearing about this kind of stuff, and I’d love to know what kind of collections people have. Please leave a comment! Thanks for reading, and later days!